Batch update movie details problem introduced 7.4 not fixed

Description: Feel free to ask here any questions about All My Movies software. Any suggestions are welcome
Moderators: Viki, Gus, datasource, Gemini, admins

R B Strautman
R B Strautman
With us: 12 years 2 months

Post #1by R B Strautman » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:36 pm

I installed the latest version today hoping that the various problems with the batch update movie details tool would be resolved. This update did not fix the problems that earlier versions of this tool created in a user's personal database (see earlier postings by me for details).

I checked nearly 30 movies today that the previous versions of batch update movie details tool had put Tyrone Power into the actors field for about 270 movies after his death. I ran the batch update movie details process again on these 30 films and ABSOLUTELY NO CHANGE was recorded in the actors field. In other words Tyrone Power is still listed in films in which he is not an actor.

I did run batch update movie details against 30 films which had not been updated by the previous version and therefore did not contain the Tyrone Power error (in several small batches to reduce the likelihood of further messing up my database of 5,200 films). These 30 non-updated films were correctly updated and Tyrone Power was not injected as an actor.

I am not declaring batch update movie details safe to use until I complete the process on about 3,000 remaining films AND version 7.6 does not fix the problems that this specific tool introduced into 100's of films in my personal database.

I advise anyone considering the use of the batch update movie details tool to proceed slowly. Update in very small batches (5 or less) until you confirm that the process is doing what you expect and no errors are being introduced into your personal database. I backup my data daily but because I was not expecting this tool to inject a dead actor into the actor field I did not notice it for several days and could not recover from it.

I wonder if Tyrone Power is getting a grin about some of the "roles" he got after his death?

Viki F
Viki F
With us: 11 years 11 months

Post #2by Viki » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Although Tyrone Powers did not receive undue accolades in my database, I am still hesitant to attempt the batch process.

Thank you for keeping this issue 'current' in the forum. Maybe someone at Bolidesoft will eventually give it the attention that it requires.

Gemini
Gemini
With us: 15 years

Post #3by Gemini » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:00 am

Hi there!

Sorry for the fact that these problems still exist.
We won't promise anything, since the problem seems to be more complicated than it looks like - we'll just let you know in this topic about the progress in this direction.

Regards
Bolide Software Support Team

R B Strautman
R B Strautman
With us: 12 years 2 months

Disable feature until fixed

Post #4by R B Strautman » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:44 pm

I suggest that you immediately and completely disable the batch update movie details feature until it is working correctly. This feature should not be re-enabled until it is tested and verified by some real users not just staff.

To provide a feature that actually changes user edited data, specifically ratings, genres, and reportedly cover images also, is vile. Individuals users with large databases have invested 100s of not 1000s of hours in their data and to continue to let new or old unsuspecting users' data be subject to the program's secret data changes is unprofessional.

Return to “All My Movies”