Genre changes

Description: Feel free to ask here any questions about All My Movies software. Any suggestions are welcome
Moderators: Viki, Gus, datasource, Gemini, admins

dashopaholic
dashopaholic
With us: 10 years 7 months

Post #1by dashopaholic » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:15 am

It appears that all my movies does NOT like me changing the main genre to what I WANT it to be. Is there a way around this? For 1 movie I had to change it 3 times....that's time consuming!!! Or is there a way to disable the sub-genre category altogether when I am inputting my library?
Thanks!

dashopaholic

Gemini
Gemini
With us: 15 years

Post #2by Gemini » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:41 pm

Hi there!
Currently, in the program there are no main genres and sub-genres - they are equal, that's why they are depicted randomly.

We'll see what can be done about it.

Regards,
Bolide Software Support Team

dashopaholic
dashopaholic

Sub genres

Post #3by dashopaholic » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:41 am

I guess I meant the "additional" genres rather than sub genres. I change the "main" genre then HAVE to go into the "additional" genre category to make sure the one I chose as main is not checked in that one as well. It would just be nice to turn the additional one off and go back later to activate it if I want to choose additional genres.

thanks!
Thanks!

dashopaholic

R B Strautman
R B Strautman
With us: 12 years 3 months

Think carefully about making genre changes

Post #4by R B Strautman » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:36 pm

I have a database of 5,200 films (2,600 seen and 2,600 to see) and from my experience in working with AMM I caution you about changing the assigned primary genre. I know you want a clean database but you also want one that is easy to manipulate.

Changing the primary genre will cause a number of problems like the one you already experienced. I created several new genres, e.g., historical drama, musical (before IMDB added that to one they already had "music"), detective, classic, silent, foreign language, based on a book, based on a play, etc. and these, although very helpful, do cause problems when updating genres from IMDB. In fact I just finishing removing all my historical drama genres and using IMDB's uninspired and uninformative drama and history genres combination. Every time I updated a film using batch item update AMM would insert the IMDB history and drama genres so I decided my editing efforts for historical dramas was being wasted.

It appears that "additional genre" entries from IMDB are added to AMM data in alphabetical order the first time. If user edits them later the ones user adds usually end up at the end of the list. Think of the additional genres as general genre indicators and not as position indicators as to importance.

dashopaholic
dashopaholic

WOW

Post #5by dashopaholic » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:05 am

That's a lot of movies!! I thought we were movie lovers. I just passed 200 with several more boxes to do (we just moved) and haven't even made it to our TV shows on DVD yet. Unfortunately, I have to budget for this expense! Ah, to win the lottery....I've said for years when I do I'm going crazy and ordering $1000 worth of movies at one time. What fun that would be!

LOL
Thanks!

dashopaholic

R B Strautman
R B Strautman
With us: 12 years 3 months

Post #6by R B Strautman » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:13 pm

I actually don't own any movie dvds. The handful of dvds I do own are fishing dvds.

I go to the movies often but I watch old movies on television on Turner Classic movies and get dvds from Netflix.

I use the TCM preview magazine called "Now Playing" to see what is coming next month and then set up my dvr to record movies that are on my unseen list which is built from my All My Movies database.

My queue on Netflix is also built from my All My Movies database but I restrict my Netflix queue to movies I have indicated are a high priority to see. I have designated these in AMM by using the personal marks feature.

So you can see that there is a lot you can do with your movie data and you don't even have to own a movie!!

dashopaholic
dashopaholic

Thanks for the info!

Post #7by dashopaholic » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:14 am

That is good to know! I primarily bought this software for insurance purposes! Nice that it is so usable!

thanks again,
Thanks!

dashopaholic

Return to “All My Movies”