Personal Marks Filtering

Description: Feel free to ask here any questions about All My Movies software. Any suggestions are welcome
Moderators: Viki, Gus, datasource, Gemini, admins

R B Strautman
R B Strautman
With us: 12 years 3 months

Post #1by R B Strautman » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:05 pm

To make managing my database of over 5,300 films easier I have created 14 personal marks, e.g., HiPri, Netflix, TCM 12, TCM 11, etc. and 18 filters (some genre based, some special seen/unseen based).

I am trying to create a filter that will show all films in my database that will appear on Turner Classic Movies during the upcoming month. I have a personal mark for each individual month. I use the TCM "Now Showing" magazine to determine which films on my current list of unseen films will be showing next month and put a check mark on the appropriate personal mark. For example, I have 21 films that I want to see, that will be showing on TCM in December.

I can easily create a filter that will show those 21 films IF the personal mark TCM 12 is the only personal mark on that record. If the film also has a personal mark for HiPri (high priority to see) the filter I created will not list that film. I suspect the problem lies with the manner in which I created the multiple filtering filter.

Can anyone explain how I should mark the check boxes in the "Search Movie" box when creating a filter to show ALL movies in my database appearing on TCM in a given month, regardless of whether the film has one or more other custom boxes checked? Specifically, should I be using a checked box OR a filled box?

BTW 1, it would be nice if the program itself let the user edit their advanced filters rather than forcing the user to create a brand new filter if the user wants to make a small change in the parameters of a current filter.

BTW 2, it would be great if the "save as advanced filter" box where the user enters a name for their newly created filter could provide a "notes" field. The user could free-text in information in that notes' field about that filter's specific use.

BTW 3, the online help information on creating/using personal marks is pretty weak. It would help if there were several examples, including showing results differences between using an empty box, fill box, or check box. Many users have no database management experience and do not understand if there is a difference between a fill box and a check box.

Thanks.

Gemini
Gemini
With us: 15 years

Post #2by Gemini » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:31 pm

Hi there!
You’ve got a complicated structure of filters, which is not quite clear. As for personal marks, the checkboxes for them have got 3 states – on default they are marked by a square – it means that a flag does not take part in filter formation. If it is marked, it means that the movies with such a flag will be filtered. The blank, unmarked state means the movies for which the flag isn’t set, will be filtered. If several flags take part in a filter, they are united in the following way: logical AND. It means that the movies, for which all the flags have got the value given at the filter set-up, will be filtered.

Regards,
Bolide Software Support Team

Return to “All My Movies”