Genre change does not work

Description: Feel free to ask here any questions about All My Movies software. Any suggestions are welcome
Moderators: Viki, Gus, datasource, Gemini, admins

Viki F
Viki F
With us: 11 years 11 months

Post #1by Viki » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:00 pm

AllMyMovies version 8.1.1432

Recently, I decided to change the "Main" genre of my dark-comedy movies from "Comedy" to "Dark Comedy" so I would have a way to find them quickly. (Filter by genre...)

The problem is: the program reverts the main genre back to "Comedy" and adds the "Dark Comedy" as an additional genre.

Sure; I can still find the movies by searching for "Dark Comedy", but the issue is that the "Main" genre does not accept the desired change. What if I need to change other genres for whatever reason?

Compressing the database does not resolve this issue.

Has anyone else experienced this difficulty?

R B Strautman
R B Strautman
With us: 12 years 2 months

Possible solution

Post #2by R B Strautman » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:42 pm

I had a similar situation when trying to change the main genre heading of a number of films from "thriller" to "military thriller" which was an additional genre I had created.

I assume that both genres ("comedy" and "dark comedy") appear in both the main genre list (drop down box) and the additional genre list (scroll down list). It has been awhile since I did this but I think this is what I did to get the program to accept "military thriller" as the main genre and "thriller" as an additional genre.

1. Open the additional list and remove the check mark next to "dark comedy".
2. Click OK which will close the entire movie box.
3. Select the same movie again.
4. Open the main genre list and select "not defined".
5. Click OK which will close the entire movie box.
6. Select the same movie again.
7. Open the main genre list and select "black comedy".
8. Click OK which will close the entire movie box.
9. Select the same movie again.
10. Open the additional genre list and select "comedy".
11. Click OK.

Please note: Occasionally I had to remove any "additional genre" entries present in a movie during step #1 to make the program accept steps #2-#7, but I simply added these back in during step #10.

It is a little awkward, but it worked for me and I can now easily distinguish between "thriller" and "military thriller".

Viki F
Viki F
With us: 11 years 11 months

Post #3by Viki » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:43 pm

Thank you, RB Strautman!!! :D

This worked like a charm. I only had to open the movie card twice. The first time, I removed all additional genres and set the main genre to "Not Defined" and clicked "OK". The second time, I set the main genre to "Dark Comedy", then filled in all the additional genres, and clicked "OK".

I have saved this correspondence in a text file and will keep it in the archive with my installation files and license. It is valuable information that will not get lost.

Viki

Return to “All My Movies”