Import EMDB?

Description: Feel free to ask here any questions about All My Movies software. Any suggestions are welcome
Moderators: Viki, Gus, datasource, Gemini, admins

jimjulian
jimjulian
With us: 5 years 11 months

Post #1by jimjulian » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:36 am

Somewhere on this website (bolidesoftware), I saw mention of the ability of AMM to import EMDB databases.
I purchased the software for that reason.

Now, I cannot find any details on the procedure for importing EMDB databases.
How are EMDB databases imported into AMM?

I just downloaded the Mass Pluginand attempted to run the software.
The program crashed and the readme file is in a foreign language.

I'd like a workable solution or a refund.

Viki F
Viki F
With us: 11 years 11 months

Post #2by Viki » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:24 pm

I remember doing this years ago while I was test driving several movie database softwares. In the end, I decided to keep All My Movies because it was superior to the other paid (or free) applications in both ease of use and attractiveness.

Please note: AMM databases have a limited size of 2GB - but if you select to store your images outside of the database you should not encounter any issues with extremely large databases.

How to Import EMDB Into AMM.docx
I have placed a document with instructions and images so that you can download it for a reference. (See link above)

Basically, you need to Export your EMDB database to text (CSV) first, and then Import the (CSV) file into All My Movies.

You may need to play with it a bit to make sure that you have all the information transferred to your liking. :mrgreen:

:!: As for the MassPlugin, be careful! It is intended to EDIT items that exist in the AMM Database (for those who do not have Excel).

jimjulian
jimjulian

Post #3by jimjulian » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:23 pm

Hello Viki,

Thanks for responding.
The link is dead. "...this product is temporarily unavailable."
Just tried again and succeeded. Lots of splash click traps.
Is there a way to do mass imports by specifying folders? I've had problems with EMDB. The program ignores some video files without notifying the user. I stumbled upon one by accident. In AMM, I found myself having to get posters for movies one-at-a-time. I decided to quit until I found a faster way.

Thank you,
Jim Julian

Viki F
Viki F

Post #4by Viki » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:31 pm

You could always start fresh with AMM (instead of importing from a problematic db). With AMM you can add files from folders.
(Posters are added one at a time so that the user can select which they prefer. Backing up your AMM database does not automatically save your posters! You should also back up your images folder when you make a database backup. This way, your work is preserved.)

I'd suggest getting familiar with the online help file:
http://www.bolidesoft.com/allmymovies/help/

But, be sure to post in here again with any questions or concerns you may have.

Have a great weekend :D

jimjulian
jimjulian

Post #5by jimjulian » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:49 pm

Hello,

Thanks for your response.
Everything was good till you told me I would have to select posters by hand. I have a large number of movies which precludes one-at-a-time selection. I would suggest a software modification: allow an option for a default poster from IMDB, first on the list, or TMDB, first on the list. Poster selection could be a post-facto, cosmetic improvement. Maling a default poster selection would get the database up and running for those in a hurry or with less free time.
Hope you had a very very weekend.

Viki F
Viki F

Post #6by Viki » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:25 pm

So sorry, I prefer to select my own covers and have operated this way for a long time.
AMM should import covers when you select to update movie details. In fact, it is notorious for overwriting cover images on each update. Which is why I chose to turn that feature off.

To make sure that AMM will assign cover images open your registry and check:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER / SOFTWARE / filmoteka
(set value DontImportCover to 0)

If the value DontImportCover is not present, you should be able to get your covers by updating your entered movies.

Return to “All My Movies”