v2.3 - "Exclude files" misleading dialog message

Description: Feel free to ask here any questions about Image Comparer. Any suggestions are welcome!
Moderators: Viki, Gus, datasource, Gemini, admins

motobojo
motobojo
With us: 18 years 7 months

Post #1by motobojo » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:09 pm

What's the deal with replacing the "Delete records" button/function with the "Exclude files" button/function? Is this anything more than a renaming of the button? Has the functionality changed - does it behave any different than "Delete records" used to?

One thing that gave me a bit of a shock :shock: was that when I selected some files that were part of records that I didn't want to consider any more and hit the new "Exclude files" button/function the dialog message that came up said it was "Deleting files ..." :shock: . Thankfully the message was in error. It did not in fact delete the mark files, but instead deleted the records in the db (as best I could tell anyway - the file was still there, but the db record was not).

If there is in fact no change to the functionality I find the new name misleading and the dialog message is VERY misleading and very disconcerting.

motobojo
motobojo

Re: v2.3 - "Exclude files" misleading dialog messa

Post #2by motobojo » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:23 pm

motobojo wrote:What's the deal with replacing the "Delete records" button/function with the "Exclude files" button/function? Is this anything more than a renaming of the button? Has the functionality changed - does it behave any different than "Delete records" used to?

I think I may have answered my own question and I don't think I like the answer.

I've experimented a bit and it looks like the new "Exclude files" function is different that "Delete records".

The way I understoond "Delete records" to work is that if I marked a file in a record and then selected "Delete record" that the ONLY effect would be to delete THE db record containing the marked file. It would NOT go and delete ALL db records containing the marked file (which seems to be what the new "Exclude files" function does. I can see value in both, but I REALLY NEED "Delete records". Why did you replace "Delete records" with "Exclude files"?

bolide M
Site Admin
bolide M
Site Admin

Re: v2.3 - "Exclude files" misleading dialog messa

Post #3by bolide » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:22 am

motobojo wrote:Why did you replace "Delete records" with "Exclude files"?

Somebody asks to do it this way.
I don't like many things in Image Comparer too, but I'm not an author and I have a bad agreement with the author at this moment. Even don't know if there will be any new version, sorry.

I think the best way to improve Image Comparer is completely rewrite it and change some concepts even. But I can't do it now
Bolide Software

Return to “Image Comparer”