Version 3.0.702 Code Key not being retained

Description: Feel free to ask here any questions about Image Comparer. Any suggestions are welcome!
Moderators: Viki, Gus, datasource, Gemini, admins

MelNakahara
MelNakahara
With us: 18 years 7 months

Post #1by MelNakahara » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:48 pm

For some reason IC is not retaining the registration information. Since installing IC v.3x, I've had to re-enter the keycode several times. It would work for perhaps a day or so and then the screen show the trial information appears asking to purchase or register.

Any insight to this anomaly would be appreciated.

Mel Nakahara
Mel Nakahara

MelNakahara
MelNakahara

Problem found but not yet resolved.

Post #2by MelNakahara » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:26 am

As a followup to the problem I have with IC v.3 retaining the registration code, I believe I have found the problem.

About the same time I installed the IC v.3 upgrade, I also installed PC Tools Spyware Doctor. Spyware Doctor scans files and registry keys for anomalies and reported a Backdoor.Rbot.Gen infection in one of my registry keys. With Max Smirnov's help, I was able to determine that registry key that holds IC's registry code was the one flagged as being the infected one and it was systematically deleting it during a scan.

Max confirmed my guess that it was a FALSE-POSITIVE reading. No other anti-spy programs of mine cited IC's registry key, including Norton's NIS 2004, as having the Backdoor.Rbot.Gen variant.

Again with Max's help giving me the information, I e-mailed a report to PC Tools but I have not yet recieved a response from them. Unfortunately, there is no way within Spyware Doctor to ignore the key, so for now I need to have it prompt me each time or forego the scheduled full scan.

My concern now is IC's trial period is ending today and I hope it will still let in to enter the key code when I need to use it. So... if anyone is using PC Tool's Spyware Doctor and having the same problem as me, please go to PC Tools Support page and send them a false-positive report. Hopefully they'll resolve the issue sooner than later.

Mel Nakahara
Mel Nakahara

MelNakahara
MelNakahara

Post #3by MelNakahara » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:16 am

Don't know what to make of this... The following is the reply from PC Tools Tech Support.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2007 6:51 PM
To: RM Professional Services
Subject: [#5111-6945-40] RE: False Positive

Thank you for contacting PC Tools.

Our Malware Research Centre informed us that the key is related to a number of serious threats. Weighing this situation, it is PC Tools position to protect its users from known\unknown threats. This key is hardcoded to various malwares (as mentioned) because of the availability of the source code and generators/constructors.

It is best advise that BoldieSoft should be aware of this, and make necessary changes to avoid associating their product to known Software\Obsidium malwares.

If you require further assistance on this specific request, please reply to this email.

Kind Regards,

Jose Grayda
Customer Support Representative
PC Tools Customer Support Services

MelNakahara
MelNakahara

Post #4by MelNakahara » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:58 pm

Update: PROBLEM RESOLVED!!

Thanks to Max Smirnov, version 3.2 was just released that included a fix to the problem. Just when I thought my problem would end up a dead issue, Max came through with a resolution.

Thanks again,
Mel Nakahara
Mel Nakahara

Return to “Image Comparer”