Virtual Shelf not updating

Description: Feel free to ask here any questions about All My Books software. Any suggestions are welcome
Moderators: Viki, Gus, Gemini, admins

RBowlin
RBowlin
With us: 14 years 9 months

Post #1by RBowlin » Sat May 30, 2009 11:13 pm

When in the Title List view, I can sort books by any genre listed in the drop-down list. However, when in Virtual Shelf view, the sorting using the drop-down list does not work. Books remain as is.

Any suggestions on what I might do to overcome this issue?

-Rich

RBowlin
RBowlin

Post #2by RBowlin » Sat May 30, 2009 11:42 pm

More issues: Excel export is quite dodgy. I chose to export title, author and subject. The first export did not export all of the data contained in the "subject" field. Moreover, multple exports (using the exact same parameters as listed above) revealed different results.

I'm beginning to regret my purchase. Is anyone else having these issues?

-Rich

RBowlin
RBowlin

Post #3by RBowlin » Sat May 30, 2009 11:59 pm

Wow. Not sure what to say. :(

I hate to jump in with complaints, not being a seasoned user, but there appear to be a LOT of issues with this software. Virtual Shelf does not work as expected. Sorting books is hit or miss, export to excel now crashed AllMyBooks. The "show" field box only works occasionally.

My initial impression is that this is NOT ready for primetime. Man, I wish I had my money back.

-Rich

Gemini
Gemini
With us: 15 years

Re: Virtual Shelf not updating

Post #4by Gemini » Sun May 31, 2009 7:45 am

Hi, Rich!
RBowlin wrote:When in the Title List view, I can sort books by any genre listed in the drop-down list. However, when in Virtual Shelf view, the sorting using the drop-down list does not work. Books remain as is.
There's no such an option for Virtual Shelf mode unfortunately.
RBowlin wrote:Excel export is quite dodgy. I chose to export title, author and subject. The first export did not export all of the data contained in the "subject" field. Moreover, multple exports (using the exact same parameters as listed above) revealed different results

Could you explain everything in more detail?

Best regards,
Bolide Software Support Team

RBowlin
RBowlin

Post #5by RBowlin » Sun May 31, 2009 12:03 pm

Gemini wrote:Hi, Rich!
RBowlin wrote:When in the Title List view, I can sort books by any genre listed in the drop-down list. However, when in Virtual Shelf view, the sorting using the drop-down list does not work. Books remain as is.
There's no such an option for Virtual Shelf mode unfortunately.
RBowlin wrote:Excel export is quite dodgy. I chose to export title, author and subject. The first export did not export all of the data contained in the "subject" field. Moreover, multple exports (using the exact same parameters as listed above) revealed different results
Could you explain everything in more detail?

Best regards,

That's too bad about the Virtual Shelf. Might this be forthcoming in an update? Just curious as this functionality works as expected in AllMyMovies.

As for the export, the probelm occurred after I attempted about 5 exports to excel. As stated earlier, the exported results varied, though the export criteria and data remained the same. Now, for some reason, the instnat I choose "export to excel" the criteria dialog box appears with all the critera boxes in a "white-out" state - meaning there's nothing there, and AllMyBooks hangs and then crashes.

I do have my book database residing on a server (not locally) and I thought this might be causing the problem. But it behaves exactly the same with the test database that came with the program that is stored locally, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Anyway, thanks for your prompt response. I hope the info I've given may shed some light on the issue.

-Rich

Gemini
Gemini

Post #6by Gemini » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:36 am

Filtering by genre in Virtual Shelf mode will be available in the nearest time. Several other issues with virtual shelf have already been fixed - the next build will be much more stable, sorry for this inconvenience.

When the program crashes at export to excel - it should ask for sending a bug-report to developers by e-mail. Could you allow sending it? This could help us to find the reason of this error.

RBowlin
RBowlin

Post #7by RBowlin » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:39 pm

Thanks for responding. Unfortunately, AllMyBooks crashes the instant I click on "Export to Microsoft Excel" from the Tools menu. No option or ability to send a report via email. It really is a hard lockup. Nothing can be done except close the program via Windows.

-Rich

Gemini
Gemini

Post #8by Gemini » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:49 am

RBowlin wrote:Thanks for responding. Unfortunately, AllMyBooks crashes the instant I click on "Export to Microsoft Excel" from the Tools menu. No option or ability to send a report via email. It really is a hard lockup. Nothing can be done except close the program via Windows.

Ok, thanks any way for your patience. We're trying to find out the reason.

Return to “All My Books”