Umlaut bug

Description: Feel free to ask here any questions about All My Books software. Any suggestions are welcome
Moderators: Viki, Gus, Gemini, admins

Martin
Martin
With us: 15 years 9 months

Post #1by Martin » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:35 pm

I just noticed a minor bug in AMB.

When I have a title like Die Sprache der Vögel o with Umlaut " and I sort books by title and look at the column on the left the o with Umlaut " has been changed into the lettr u with a sort of , on the bottom right of the letter. This goes for all words and author names with special characters I just noticed :cry:

Gemini
Gemini
With us: 15 years

Post #2by Gemini » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:08 pm

Hi, Martin! :)
Yeah, the program does not support Unicode, unfortunately, this causes the problems with umlauts. And which online-database do you use to fill in the info about books? - perhaps, we'll be able to fix it...

Regards,
Bolide Software Support Team

Martin
Martin

Post #3by Martin » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:59 am

Well in regards to the Umlauts and so on mostly the german ones but just to give you an example.

Search on amazon.de for the author Lamer Hans . Kroh Paul and you will see a choise of Wörterbuch der Antike.

Martin

Martin
Martin

Post #4by Martin » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:17 pm

Any news on this bug?

Gemini
Gemini
With us: 15 years

Post #5by Gemini » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:56 am

Unfortunately, no solution found yet. We'll let you know when there's any progress about that.

Regards,
Bolide Software Support Team

alpenfee
alpenfee
With us: 14 years 7 months

Post #6by alpenfee » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:08 pm

Oh, no, please don't tell me this!

About some months ago I was thinking of buying All my books. My hubby is using another software for a long time. The problem: They search for books only at amazon.com and some smaller disadvantages. Being German I was so happy that your software also searches in bol.de, as in the other software there were many German books I would have to enter manually, as they are not on amazon.com.

The other software group told us until August 2009 they will also add other places for search. Having not done it up to now, I went back to your website and now I read this thread!
Being German but reading English and Spanish books in original, this is a big disadvantage of your software. Especially with all the special characters in Spanish.

I read in which languages your software is available and there are many other that have special characters. So I think supporting them, so that the people can work with books in their native language without a problem is a very important thing.

To tell you the truth: I came here to buy your software now, but having read this I will sleep over it before I make my decision. I'm sorry for that.

I tried your software some months ago with the focus on searching for books that were not found in the other software. Unfortunately the book I tried has no special characters in the title. So I did not see this bug.
Please put it on your list of features for the next versions.

My present mood is really sad, because I have the feeling I do not find a fitting software for all my books (and there are really many, over 5000), especially when thinking yours is very close to what I was looking for.
But with problems in special characters.... I don't know. *sigh*

Martin
Martin

Post #7by Martin » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:49 pm

A simple solution for this issue was given by Athens Collectibles in his post "Thanks for the best book catalogue application"

I seem to have had my font type set to cyrillic, which caused this problem. I have it now set to Western and no more problem. All special characters u with Umlaut and so on work like they should!

Solution:
1) Select Tools > Preferences from the top menu
2) Select the Display Are tab
3) Click the Set button in the "Book list font" section
4) Change to the proper script from the available (Greek, Western, Turkish, Baltic, Central European, Cyrillic, Vietnamese) in the drop-down list and a font that supports characters in your language. Not all fonts support all non-latin characters but you can check each font in the "Sample" box.
5) Finally, click OK and you are done.

Thanks Athens Collectibles!

Regards,

Martin

Return to “All My Books”