Editing Author Field

Description: Feel free to ask here any questions about All My Books software. Any suggestions are welcome
Moderators: Viki, Gus, Gemini, admins

sKiZo
sKiZo
With us: 12 years 1 month

Post #1by sKiZo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:15 am

Yet another quirk with doing an Excel import.

I imported a basic list in Excel 97. Author was listed last name first, comma, first name. AMB uses the comma as a separator for multiple names in the same field apparently.

OK ... I can deal with that.

EXAMPLE:
Carver, Jeffrey A. (original excel author name)
Jeffrey A. Carver (book card after lookup ... kewl!)
Carver, Jeffrey A. Carver (summary screen after closing book card ... not so kewl!)
Carver, Jeffrey A. Carver (book card after clicking the edit button)

Here's where it gets interesting. I try to edit the author field and deleting the extra information, ending up with ...
Jeffrey A. Carver

Until I save it by clicking OK. Book card closes, and the summary once again shows
Carver, Jeffrey A. Carver

Huh??

The only way I can find to fix it is to open the book card using the edit button, delete the entire entry in the author field, click OK at which point the author is missing from the summary, click the edit button again, re-enter the author name, then click OK again. This updates the record correctly.

HUH?? Something strange going on here.

PS ... just deleting the author from the original excel import book card before doing an import does NOT work. I still get the duplicate information until I jump thru the hoops listed above. Only other "solution" is to delete that book card and start over from scratch. Less steps I suppose.

Gemini
Gemini
With us: 15 years

Post #2by Gemini » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:40 pm

Hi!
If it is possible, import from Excel once again, but without authors. If not, you need to delete the author, then save the card by pressing Ok and only after that do the online lookup, then it is going to work.

Or in the original Excel file somehow turn the format of authors from "Carver, Jeffrey A. " to "Jeffrey A. Carver". There also seems to be an opportunity in Excel to write a function which will do it automatically. But unfortunately we can't help you with that.

Good luck! And thanks for your efforts describing the problem!

Regards,
Bolide Software Support Team

gavind
gavind
With us: 11 years 4 months

Post #3by gavind » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:46 pm

Hi sKiZo, are you still having issues on this yet? How were you able to get around this?
Movie Addict. Image

Return to “All My Books”