Multiple Files Per Movie

Description: Feel free to ask here any questions about All My Movies software. Any suggestions are welcome
Moderators: Viki, Gus, datasource, Gemini, admins

marcusah
marcusah
With us: 5 years 1 month

Post #1by marcusah » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:46 pm

Hello,

What happens if I have multiple files per movie? Currently they are all added to the database and are not loaded in as multiple files per single movie. This throws the total megabyte count off for stats. What's the suggestion?

Thanks

Viki F
Viki F
With us: 11 years 11 months

Post #2by Viki » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:07 pm

Can you give an example of what type(s) the multiple files are for the single movie title, and the method used to incorporate them into your database?
Are you scanning folders to add titles? :?

marcusah
marcusah

Post #3by marcusah » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:37 pm

Hello,

Mainly older movies where they are XviD and one file per movie would mean they wouldn't fit on a CD and each movie that is multiple parts is 700MB per part basically. I'm scanning folders to add titles and it grabs every file in the folder as a movie when it's just one movie. Like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is 3 parts but it adds it 3 times to the database one entry for each file.

The movies in MKV that I have that are one single file are fine typically.

Thanks

Viki F
Viki F
With us: 11 years 11 months

Post #4by Viki » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:47 pm

One solution would be to rejoin (extract/append) all pieces of each title into a single, complete file. Maybe place the archive pieces in a different folder (if you find it necessary to keep the CD sized pieces), and scan the folder with the single-piece files into your database.
There are numerous free video editing programs that will append the pieces into a single file with ease.
:idea: Files are normally split into smaller pieces to make them portable, and more compliant with file server's limitations. But, once the set of files have reached their destination it is normal to re-compile the file for use.

Another solution would be to add these titles manually. Not by scanning their folder, but add them by title. This would eliminate the need to recompile them first.

bolide M
Site Admin
bolide M
Site Admin
With us: 18 years 7 months

Post #5by bolide » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:29 am

marcusah wrote:Mainly older movies where they are XviD and one file per movie would mean they wouldn't fit on a CD and each movie that is multiple parts is 700MB per part basically. I'm scanning folders to add titles and it grabs every file in the folder as a movie when it's just one movie.

If you have the multi-file movies in the separate folders, consider "Add one file from each folder only" option in "Scan for movies" dialog.
When you add multi-file movies manually, using the "Movie - Add from file" menu, select the first file, then use the "Next media" button in the movie card to add other files. All My Movies will sum the duration and file size in this case.
Bolide Software

marcusah
marcusah

Post #6by marcusah » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:35 pm

Thanks for the help, that makes sense. I'll do what you suggest although the automatic way does not add the multiple files to one movie it adds every file as a separate movie... I didn't know I could add them manually this way.

Return to “All My Movies”