Smoothing - what & why?

Description: Feel free to ask here any questions about Image Comparer. Any suggestions are welcome!
Moderators: Viki, Gus, datasource, Gemini, admins

motobojo
motobojo
With us: 18 years 7 months

Post #1by motobojo » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:08 pm

Hi,

On the comparison results page, between the thumbnail images is a drop-down box for "smoothing".

Anybody care to give a tutorial on why I should care about "smoothing" and how I might use it?

Thanks for your patience.

-- Tom.

bolide M
Site Admin
bolide M
Site Admin

Re: Smoothing - what & why?

Post #2by bolide » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:09 pm

Smothing is used only for displaying images. When smoothing is off resized images looks not clear, so it can be difficult to evaluate real image quality.
And therefore we implemented a smoothing feature. It works for image previews aswell as full screen images.

But smoothing can affect image displaing speed. The fastest image displaying is with smoothing feature turned off.
Bolide Software

motobojo
motobojo

Post #3by motobojo » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:12 pm

Thanks. That explaination helped me understand why I might want to use it. :idea:

-- Tom.

a visiting IC user
a visiting IC user

smoothing... which smoothing type ?

Post #4by a visiting IC user » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:59 am

Curious as to which Smoothing filter is best for use with typical .Jpg images ? Which is optimal for 'true image' comparing? Since there are what - 8 or more - smoothing types, which one is recommended, and for what purpose or type of image comparison ? I'm not as interested in speed - although it is always welcome - as I am in accuracy.

Thanks.

bolide M
Site Admin
bolide M
Site Admin

Re: smoothing... which smoothing type ?

Post #5by bolide » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:38 pm

a visiting IC user, smoothing does not affect comparison process. It is for displaying purpose only.
In my opinion, the best method is Lanczos3. It gives a clearly looking images. But this method is the slowest.
And again - smoothing used only for image displaying, not for comparison
Bolide Software

Visiting IC User
Visiting IC User

smoothing

Post #6by Visiting IC User » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:57 am

Thanks for your rapid reply. Your explanation as to the function of Smoothing only applying to *display* versus *actual Comparison* by the program is understood clearly enough.

I'm relying upon my visual confirmation of the displayed enlarged images as a 'second check' of the results which ImageComparer 2.2 provides. I guess it's what one might call a 'healthy skepticism' of any "automated-decide which is best" - process.
I don't even trust 'automatic updates' from any software company... the least of which would be Microsoft. So please don't take any perceived 'lack of trust' as being personal to your product. I actually like and enjoy ImageComparer. ;-))

As for the other Smoothing Filters, which functions or type of images would they be best applied to ? I've Googled, but found nothing in the way of a comprehensive list or simple explanation. Mostly, very technical papers and the like. This is but one reason why I suggested having a *Help File* in your Suggestion Topic Area.

Kind regards.
vICu

bolide M
Site Admin
bolide M
Site Admin

Re: smoothing

Post #7by bolide » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:48 pm

Visiting IC User wrote:As for the other Smoothing Filters, which functions or type of images would they be best applied to ? I've Googled, but found nothing in the way of a comprehensive list or simple explanation. Mostly, very technical papers and the like. This is but one reason why I suggested having a *Help File* in your Suggestion Topic Area.

Yes, I am completely agree with you about help file, but we haven't enough time for it now. But we'll do everything in our's power.
As for different smothing images, it is really very technical things and they are not essential to know for usual user. Thi is just a different algorithms of image smoothing when resizing.
Possibly, we just make a checkbox for turn on and off this
Bolide Software

Return to “Image Comparer”