silent abort during "analysing results"

Description: Feel free to ask here any questions about Image Comparer. Any suggestions are welcome!
Moderators: Viki, Gus, datasource, Gemini, admins

motobojo
motobojo
With us: 18 years 7 months

Post #1by motobojo » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:03 pm

Recently I've been seeing the following behavior with V2.2.

During a file deletion operation (which by the way seems REALLY SLOW in both its phases with a database of any size) there are two phases (as far as the user sees) -- 1. deleting and 2. analysing database (presumbably includes deleting records from the database that contain the deleted files). During the 2nd phase (analysing) IC appears to silently abort. The program just goes away with no messages.

When I re-open IC I find that the files were indeed deleted, but that the records are still in the database. So all of the records have "File not found" messages in one of the thumbnail boxes. So then if I'm still working on that database and I don't want the clutter of those records I have to go back and re-select all of those entries and delete those records which as I've noted in another defect report is an arduously slow process on a database of any size.

So it would be great to figure out why IC is silently aborting during the analysis phase of the delete and fix it. Additionally it might be nice to add a means of automatically selecting all records that contain "File not found" entries or better yet an operation to delete such records. I guess there are other reasons a file in a database might go away and the records really aren't of any use after that (at least to my mind).

-- Tom.

bolide M
Site Admin
bolide M
Site Admin

Re: silent abort during "analysing results"

Post #2by bolide » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:23 pm

thank you, motobojo, we will try to figure out whats happens.
By the way, do you experinced such problem with v2.0?
Bolide Software

motobojo
motobojo

Re: silent abort during "analysing results"

Post #3by motobojo » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:34 pm

bolide wrote:thank you, motobojo, we will try to figure out whats happens.
By the way, do you experinced such problem with v2.0?

I don't recall seeing this behavior in V2.0. I'm not able to reload V2.0 after installing V2.2. It reloads, but won't run. Otherwise, I'd try it out for you, though as I'm sure you're aware (or soon will be) it is a difficult problem to reproduce. Good luck.

I just realized that I may have mis-identified what the status box says when it dies. I think the correct message is "Adjusting database".

-- Tom.

motobojo
motobojo

Post #4by motobojo » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:14 pm

It has been over a year now and I haven't heard anything back on the resolution of this problem. The problem is rearing it's ugly head again with a vengenance on some new file sets I'm working with and it is a major pain to have to work around.

Ever now and then (but very seldom), rather than silently aborting it brings up some debugging / trap mechanism. Do you want me to send you reports from that? If so, which of the bits of information are you interested in. There seem to be many different reports that it can generate. I didn't see any "dump all information and send it to Bolide" button (which would be nice).

When it does trap it in this way and I exit the trap mechanism IC is still running, but the only thing I can do is exit IC. Nothing else does anything. AND when I do exit IC the database it was working on is hosed. When I try to open up IC after that, IC will not start. I have to go into IC's databases folder and delete the last db it was working on to get IC to start up again.

motobojo
motobojo

Post #5by motobojo » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:20 pm

Having just encountered the rare instant were the problem manifests in being trapped by Eurekalogger ... I've just sent a Eurekalog report to support@bolidesoft.com.

Return to “Image Comparer”