Things I would like to see added to AMB

Description: Feel free to ask here any questions about All My Books software. Any suggestions are welcome
Moderators: Viki, Gus, Gemini, admins

Gemini
Gemini
With us: 15 years

Post #16by Gemini » Sat May 30, 2009 4:17 pm

Quasar wrote:"Show only books, where location is <....>" - doesn't work. When I click on it - nothing happens.

It's strange, In the latest version it works all right.
If it doesn't work in the latest version, then please tell how Locations are called - perhaps, some special symbol there prevents it from working properly...
Bolide Software Support Team

Quasar
Quasar
With us: 14 years 11 months

Post #17by Quasar » Sat May 30, 2009 8:45 pm

Gemini wrote:
Quasar wrote:"Show only books, where location is <....>" - doesn't work. When I click on it - nothing happens.
It's strange, In the latest version it works all right.
If it doesn't work in the latest version, then please tell how Locations are called - perhaps, some special symbol there prevents it from working properly...

I've got commas in it (locations look so: "<text>, <text>, <text>"). Probably that is the problem?

Gemini
Gemini

Post #18by Gemini » Sun May 31, 2009 7:40 am

Quasar wrote:I've got commas in it (locations look so: "<text>, <text>, <text>"). Probably that is the problem?

We wouldn't recommend to use brackets <> in any fields - at displaying the program will consider them unknown HTML-tags and ignore them (without displaying).

Quasar
Quasar

Post #19by Quasar » Sun May 31, 2009 8:35 am

Gemini wrote:
Quasar wrote:I've got commas in it (locations look so: "<text>, <text>, <text>"). Probably that is the problem?
We wouldn't recommend to use brackets <> in any fields - at displaying the program will consider them unknown HTML-tags and ignore them (without displaying).

He-he))) I said it wrong. I wrote these brackets (<>) only to show, that I have 3 text expressions, seperated by commas.
So, I have such format of locaton:
text1, text2, text3

For example:
box1, shelf 1, right site

I think, the problem is only because of commas. When I move mouse on the place, where location field is, then only one part (for example, shelf 1) is underlined and in the drop-menu the item is "Show only books, where locations is "shelf 1"". But there is not of course such location.

Gemini
Gemini

Post #20by Gemini » Sun May 31, 2009 8:49 am

I see))
Yes, then the reason should be caused by commas probably...

Quasar
Quasar

Post #21by Quasar » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:14 am

It was good to add some time the abilitiy to synchronize 2 databases. Or just ability to add from one base to another base books, that are only in the first database (now I should manualy select books that you want to add).
Synchronization is of course much better...

Gemini
Gemini

Post #22by Gemini » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:09 am

Quasar wrote:It was good to add some time the abilitiy to synchronize 2 databases. Or just ability to add from one base to another base books, that are only in the first database (now I should manualy select books that you want to add).
Synchronization is of course much better...

Hi! We'll think over implementation, thank you for the idea.

AMVAS
AMVAS
With us: 14 years 9 months

Post #23by AMVAS » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:16 pm

Wishes are the next:
Maybe it's possible to add DLLs for support of
www.biblus.ru and www.rsl.ru databases
The first one is one of the most comprehansive database for issued Russian and Soviet books

Among the disadvantages of the program is cutting titles of found books when a list of possible titles is given. Sometimes it's hard to estimate what book to choose from this list having seen only a part of title

regards
Alex

Gemini
Gemini

Post #24by Gemini » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:07 pm

AMVAS wrote:
Maybe it's possible to add DLLs for support of
www.biblus.ru and www.rsl.ru databases
The first one is one of the most comprehansive database for issued Russian and Soviet books
Hi, Alex!
These plug-ins have been added to "to-do" list - developers will try to make them, but in the perspective, not sure that very soon :roll:

AMVAS wrote: Among the disadvantages of the program is cutting titles of found books when a list of possible titles is given. Sometimes it's hard to estimate what book to choose from this list having seen only a part of title

we'll try to add a scroller to the window of choosing a book from search results, it should help.

Best regards,

AMVAS
AMVAS

Post #25by AMVAS » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:13 pm

Gemini wrote:...
we'll try to add a scroller to the window of choosing a book from search results, it should help.

Best regards,

thank you very much in any case!
Will wait for all updates!

Nynaevelan
Nynaevelan

Post #26by Nynaevelan » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:40 am

I would like to add three requests of future enhancements:

1. add audible as one of the online sites for lookups
2. AMM has a nice feature of scheduling automatic backups, I would like to have this feature in AMB as well.
3. If possible, the ability to edit books while in Title List mode instead of having to detail to the book card.

Nyn
AMM - v5.9.1296
AMB - v2.0.1120

Gemini
Gemini

Post #27by Gemini » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:07 pm

Nynaevelan wrote:I
1. add audible as one of the online sites for lookups
2. AMM has a nice feature of scheduling automatic backups, I would like to have this feature in AMB as well.
3. If possible, the ability to edit books while in Title List mode instead of having to detail to the book card.

Well, as for suggestions 1 and 2, they are in the to-do list already.
We'll also try to think over your third suggestion, though you're the first to touch upon this issue.

Nynaevelan
Nynaevelan

Post #28by Nynaevelan » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:21 pm

Gemini wrote:We'll also try to think over your third suggestion, though you're the first to touch upon this issue.

:lol: :lol: I am not surprised, I tend to veer away from the beaten path in my favorite programs. Thanks for considering my requests.

Nyn
AMM - v5.9.1296

AMB - v2.0.1120

AMVAS
AMVAS

Post #29by AMVAS » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:14 pm

Noticed one disadvantage. Not too serious, but quite boring.
Different sources can give author's name as
1. "A.B. Smith"
2. "A. Smith"
3. "Smith A."
4. "Smith A.B."
5. "Andy Smith"

Finally if I have 5 books of this author with different notation, I will never get them sorted in proper order (by author)
Probably it would be some mechanism to distinguish surname from initials at least for cases 1-4.
Case 5 is much more hard for handling, but it's not so critical as the first ones.
Sorting authors by name I can observe initials to be treated as surnames. It's very unhandy...

Regards
Alex

Gemini
Gemini

Post #30by Gemini » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:54 pm

Hi, Alex!
You can do the following: you can select all five in the Names Directory, right-click on them and choose "Merge" menu item - to unite all the variants into one.

Best regards,

Return to “All My Books”