Bigger Data File

Description: Feel free to ask here any questions about All My Movies software. Any suggestions are welcome
Moderators: Viki, Gus, datasource, Gemini, admins

Gat
Gat
With us: 14 years 3 months

Post #1by Gat » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:28 pm

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if there is any way to enlarge the allowed data file in the program. I am getting warnings now because my data file is almost 2GB in size and I am still adding movies to my collection. I know I can start a new data file but to be honest i would really not like to split up my collection data. If this is possible it would be a great update for those of us with hugh collections. Thanks a lot for your time. Gat

Gemini
Gemini
With us: 15 years

Post #2by Gemini » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:43 pm

Hi, Gat!

When you approach the limit, you usually get warnings from the program.
It seems that you keep the images inside the database file, while it's preferable to keep images outside the file.
In order to do that, go to Preferences, Expert options tab and tick the corresponding option. It should slow down the process of your database file growing.

Regards,
Last edited by Gemini on Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bolide Software Support Team

Gat
Gat

Picture Storage

Post #3by Gat » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 am

Hey Gemini,
A quick question if I could. If I do not store the pictures in the data file were exactly are they stored. I tend to keep a backup of my data file just in case and would like to be able to keep the pictures backed up also. If I take the pictures out of file (if I can now without doing the whole thing over) will I be able to keep a backup of that file and just insert the two files in the needed directory. I find the backup done by the program does not back up all the info I want to keep. Thanks for your time and all the great work you guys have done. Gat

Viki F
Viki F
With us: 11 years 11 months

Post #4by Viki » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:42 pm

There will be two folders in the same directory that has your database stored in it.
Under Tools>Preferences>General>
You will see "Folder for backup copies" - this is where the two folders will be.
<Database name>_thumbs
<Database name>_images
<Database name>.amm

Once you select to not store your images in the database, the program will take a good bit of time to construct the folders but should drastically reduce the size of your database.

To store your database - be sure to backup the database and the two folders in the same location.

Also, if you want to keep your current configuration (Image size, display, etc.)
Manually export these two registry keys to save AllMyMovies total configurations:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\filmoteka

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1345582745-679083029-3600874143-1000\Software\filmoteka

After installing AllMyMovies and registering:
Merge these two keys into the registry to restore your previous configuration.

Gemini
Gemini
With us: 15 years

Post #5by Gemini » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:06 am

Viki, thanks for your help!
There is nothing to add to this detailed answer actually :)

May be just that All My Movies does the same in the process of backup - it saves the database file and the file with the pictures into the folder specified.
The file with pictures is stored in the same directory as the database file.
So, to make a backup, you need to save two files - the database file and the file with pictures in the same directory.

Regards,
Bolide Software Support Team

Gat
Gat

Thanks for the info

Post #6by Gat » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:20 am

Thank you Viki and Gemini for your help. I will give it a try. Gat

zumba
zumba
With us: 12 years 5 months

Post #7by zumba » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:33 pm

My database was growing also. Working like a charm, this solution. Thanks.

Return to “All My Movies”