very large images (20 Mpix) cripple Image Comparer

Description: Feel free to ask here any questions about Image Comparer. Any suggestions are welcome!
Moderators: Viki, Gus, datasource, Gemini, admins

slam_to
slam_to
With us: 15 years 10 months

Post #1by slam_to » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:55 am

Hi All,

I've been scanning in some old family photos from some negatives. I've been scanning them at the highest resolution I can get (about 5570 x 3600).

Image sizes unfortunately this seems to cripple Image Comparer. I'm currently using V3.4. It's more often than not that the program will have some sort of error before it actually generates any image comparisons.

I get various errors such as the program complaining that there are less than 2 photos in the gallery when it's displaying thumbnails of many images. Comparisons taking hours for only a few photos. Sometimes the program just aborts and exiting. Or the program not completing a comparison, and no comparison results file being generated.

Mind you, this only happens with these very large images. Smaller images seem to get processed without any major issues.

Any ideas how to work around this?

Thanks,
SLam

bolide M
Site Admin
bolide M
Site Admin
With us: 18 years 7 months

Re: very large images (20 Mpix) cripple Image Comparer

Post #2by bolide » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:59 am

I advice you to use JPEG format for your scanned photos for faster processing them with Image Comparer. Do you use JPEG?
Bolide Software

slam_to
slam_to
With us: 15 years 10 months

Post #3by slam_to » Fri May 02, 2008 1:33 am

I'm using TIFF, I'd prefer not to switch to JPEG.

I could understand loading the images is slow using TIFF files, but I wouldn't expect all the errors I was receiving.

bolide M
Site Admin
bolide M
Site Admin
With us: 18 years 7 months

Post #4by bolide » Fri May 02, 2008 10:13 am

slam_to wrote:I'm using TIFF, I'd prefer not to switch to JPEG.
I could understand loading the images is slow using TIFF files, but I wouldn't expect all the errors I was receiving.

Image Comparer loads TIFF files slower than JPEG ones because JPEG allows to read them not in full size, but half size, quarter size and even smaller.

Anyway, we will test Image Comparer with large TIFF files and will try to fix these errors.

Please allow the program to send bug reports when it asks, they will help us to determine the problem
Bolide Software

Return to “Image Comparer”