Barcode readers

Description: Feel free to ask here any questions about All My Books software. Any suggestions are welcome
Moderators: Viki, Gus, Gemini, admins

tbaker@pssltd.co.uk
tbaker@pssltd.co.uk
With us: 15 years 9 months

Post #1by tbaker@pssltd.co.uk » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:11 pm

I see that barcode readers may be used in All My Movies, but will they work with All My Books?
Trevor Baker

dodo2u
dodo2u

Re: Barcode readers

Post #2by dodo2u » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:55 pm

tbaker@pssltd.co.uk wrote:I see that barcode readers may be used in All My Movies, but will they work with All My Books?

You can use any cheap barcode reader to enter codes.
If you take a keyboard wedge type (which is inserted between your keyboard and computer), this code will be entered as if you typed it in yourself.
So, any application which requires input from the keyboard, also accepts input via the barcode scanner.

Nilt
Nilt

Re: Barcode readers

Post #3by Nilt » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:13 am

dodo2u wrote:
tbaker@pssltd.co.uk wrote:I see that barcode readers may be used in All My Movies, but will they work with All My Books?

You can use any cheap barcode reader to enter codes.
If you take a keyboard wedge type (which is inserted between your keyboard and computer), this code will be entered as if you typed it in yourself.
So, any application which requires input from the keyboard, also accepts input via the barcode scanner.

Yup; the scanners work really well in combination with any book database program. I found a used scanner in Seattle for under $40 that works flawlessly. The key is being able to search a database online to fill in the fields for you. I find the Amazon database most useful; the others seem to work less often for me. Most wedge type scanners will also key a carriage return (Enter) after the last digit in a bar code. If you have the cursor in the ISBN field with Amazon as your default you'll do well.

I grabbed the program recently and am loving finally being able to keep track of my collection more easily. I should have all of my books (many hundreds if not a couple thousand) entered within a week if I keep at it like this. :-D

orrsc
orrsc
With us: 14 years 4 months

Barcode reader for check in/out?

Post #4by orrsc » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:52 pm

What happens if you scan an ISBN or barcode that's already in the system? Does it pop-up that record?

I would like to use a barcode scanner for a check-in/check out system. It doesn't have to check out the book, just pull up the record so that the lender can note that they've checked out the book.

Gemini
Gemini
With us: 15 years

Post #5by Gemini » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:26 pm

Hi!
If you are trying to add a book that is already in the database the program can warn you about the duplicate record. This option is available in the preferences (menu item Tools-Preferences), "Expert options" tab.

Regards,
Bolide Software Support Team

Ry
Ry
With us: 14 years 3 months

Post #6by Ry » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:02 am

Hey, I'm thinking about getting a bar-code scanner and was wondering just how it works on AMB. I don't see any options or any other info in the program itself about scanners.

I was also curious as to if there were any support for smartphone scanner applications. I have a G1--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Mobile_G1--which has a bar-code scanner application, I think it would be awesome if AMB were to be able to integrate this in some way! Then I wouldn't have to go out and purchase a scanner!

Thanks for the info!
"Books are not made for furniture,
but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house."
~ Henry Ward Beecher ~

Gemini
Gemini

Post #7by Gemini » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:52 pm

Hi, Ry!
All My Books works all right with Barcode Scanners - with the majority of standard scanners.
As for smartphone applications, we're not sure. By the way, are there any PC programs able to integrate with this barcode scanner application?

Regards,

Ry
Ry
With us: 14 years 3 months

Post #8by Ry » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:32 pm

I'm doing some research on it now, unfortuntly because all of the apps are hand made by different programmers it's hard to tell if there's any other functionality for them.

I've contacted a couple, so I'm still waiting for a reply. If anything I'd just be happy with a program that lets me use my phones scanner rather than a store bought one. I'm no programmer, but it doesn't seem too hard to integrate that sort of thing.
"Books are not made for furniture,

but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house."

~ Henry Ward Beecher ~

melanye
melanye
With us: 13 years 11 months

Post #9by melanye » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:55 pm

Does AllMyBooks/Movies work with the CueCat scanner? I know some programs have issues with this scanner, especially if it hasn't been 'declawed' yet. It's the one I own though and it worked with my original library software, but after a massive computer crash I'm shopping for a new catalogue application. Right now I'm torn between this software and Collectorz.

Gemini
Gemini

Post #10by Gemini » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:56 am

melanye
AMB works okay with CueCat scanner.

Regards,

Return to “All My Books”