Things I would like to see added to AMB

Description: Feel free to ask here any questions about All My Books software. Any suggestions are welcome
Moderators: Viki, Gus, Gemini, admins

AMVAS
AMVAS
With us: 14 years 8 months

Post #31by AMVAS » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:43 pm

Gemini wrote:Hi, Alex!
You can do the following: you can select all five in the Names Directory, right-click on them and choose "Merge" menu item - to unite all the variants into one.

Best regards,

Hi,
Thx for advice.
However this way looks a bit complicated.
Probably it's better to make some automatic mechanism for separating intials from surnames.
Regards
Alex

Andreuccio
Andreuccio
With us: 14 years 6 months

Post #32by Andreuccio » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:08 pm

1. In the Guru options ,there is a possibility to check if such book exists in the database. However, for adding lots of e-books it is almost useless, since it always ask for a confirmation. I think 'silent' mode need to be added there, to skip books without confirmation.

2. Even the simplest parser of rtf/doc/txt files would be very useful for automatic filling of the author/title things. The only reason for me when I choose AllMyBooks was that it can do it with FB2

Realm Curator
Realm Curator

Post #33by Realm Curator » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:44 pm

I'm really new to this but am absolutely loving this awesome database program. I've never had one that works so absolutely "the way it should"! Imagine the concept - a program that actually does what it says it does?! How cool is that?! Kudos to the developers!!

A couple of things I'd like to see to make the data entry a bit quicker:

1. Having the text automatically fill out when entering duplicate info...
like the publisher name: starting out with "Ra" and having it complete with "Random House" would be so nice. And the same with the Author's name: "Steph" complete with any other "Steph" names, etc. Actually, pretty much have this feature in every box that requires alpha characters would really speed up data entry for folks with large collections by the same author.

2. Wondering what the purpose of the scroll bar is in the list of of books in the column left of the book information with the cover pic and synopsis. The scroll bar moves, but the text doesn't. You can only scroll through the list by using the up/down arrow keys.

3. I have decided to group several of my books into specific categories rather than by author or title. For instance: the books teaching crochet, tole painting, knitting, etc., are listed under "Crafts" and in order to make the "Crafts" category, I've had to use the Author box. It works for my purposes but I think a true "Category" box would be really helpful - especially with all my Computer Program Instruction Manuals, and Bibles and Bible Study materials.

Thanks for taking the time to read and consider.

~Realm Curator
Don't Litter ~ Spay or Neuter

AMVAS
AMVAS

Post #34by AMVAS » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:57 pm

Realm Curator wrote:1. Having the text automatically fill out when entering duplicate info...
like the publisher name: starting out with "Ra" and having it complete with "Random House" would be so nice. And the same with the Author's name: "Steph" complete with any other "Steph" names, etc. Actually, pretty much have this feature in every box that requires alpha characters would really speed up data entry for folks with large collections by the same author.

In general agree with this statment

2. Wondering what the purpose of the scroll bar is in the list of of books in the column left of the book information with the cover pic and synopsis. The scroll bar moves, but the text doesn't. You can only scroll through the list by using the up/down arrow keys.

I think because from the left you can place many fields and sort books by them. you can chose that fields in settings

3. I have decided to group several of my books into specific categories rather than by author or title. For instance: the books teaching crochet, tole painting, knitting, etc., are listed under "Crafts" and in order to make the "Crafts" category, I've had to use the Author box. It works for my purposes but I think a true "Category" box would be really helpful - especially with all my Computer Program Instruction Manuals, and Bibles and Bible Study materials.

For me this problem is resolved by usage of additional custom fields (See settings).
So I can filter my books using that fields I have created myself.
For instance I have categories:
Aircraft, Armor, Infantry et.al. And can easily filter books, which had been issued in those category(ies).
Also I apply my own personal marks (ibid), also very useful...

I also enjoy this program, however it still cotains some bugs...

Good luck
Alex

Realm Curator
Realm Curator

Post #35by Realm Curator » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:12 pm

Is there a way to have the author's names in alpha order by their last name rather than their first name.

I've tried entering " Christie, Agatha " and wind up with two entries for the same book. There are several authors who've shared the writing of a book and I haven't been able to find a way to display both names - like "Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins" - it comes out in alpha order by "T".

Is there a solution for this in the works?

Thanks!

AMVAS
AMVAS

Post #36by AMVAS » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:18 pm

Realm Curator wrote:Is there a way to have the author's names in alpha order by their last name rather than their first name.

I've tried entering " Christie, Agatha " and wind up with two entries for the same book. There are several authors who've shared the writing of a book and I haven't been able to find a way to display both names - like "Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins" - it comes out in alpha order by "T".

Is there a solution for this in the works?

Thanks!

I have the same problems and already asked the developers to pay attention to this feature.
I myself now resolve this in the next way, I write surname, first name (initials) in this field. However this doesn't work for automatic addition of records and one need to pay attention checking them...

Regards
Alex

Realm Curator
Realm Curator

Post #37by Realm Curator » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:24 pm

Which now bears the query - when all these little buggers are sorted, will we have to go back and manually adjust all our entries or will there be some sort of "magic wand" feature that will automatically fix everything? (well, this IS a "wish list" is it not? LOL)

Gemini
Gemini
With us: 14 years 11 months

Post #38by Gemini » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:53 pm

Hi, AMVAS and Realm Curator!

We'll try to add this option - wait a bit :wink:

Regards,
Bolide Software Support Team

Realm Curator
Realm Curator

Post #39by Realm Curator » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:12 pm

Thanks, Gemini! Yeppers, I can do that!

Thanks for tending to these! Very much appreciated! :D

Martin
Martin
With us: 15 years 9 months

Post #40by Martin » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:18 pm

This is an old issue which I mentioned several times, long ago. Seeing as at that point a solution wasn't forthcoming, I solved it like this when there is more than one author:

North Richard . Hofstra T. . Houwen L. A. J. R. . MacDonald A. A.
Lastname Firstname . Lastname Firstnameinitial and so on.

When there is only one author:
North Richard
Lastname Firstname

This works nicely :D

Regards,

Martin

Realm Curator
Realm Curator

Post #41by Realm Curator » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:16 pm

Ah, Martin! An excellent solution to the problem! Thank you very much! It's beginning to look like a "real" library now! LOL

kristakay1
kristakay1
With us: 15 years 3 months

What I would like to see...

Post #42by kristakay1 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:12 pm

I would like more American databases. For some reason, I've been having a real problem with the one's you have. For instance, I tried adding Nora Robert's Visions in White (Title, Author, ISBN) and it didn't come up in either of the three you have. It is a brand new book but it has been out for a little bit. Barnes and Noble and Amazon sell it. I would think it would have shown up.

Gemini
Gemini

Post #43by Gemini » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:41 am

kristakay1
Could you provide the examples of American databases you would like to use?

Regards,

Nynaevelan
Nynaevelan

Post #44by Nynaevelan » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:49 pm

AMB REALLY needs a way to edit multiple books at one time. For instance, if I add a new custom flag and I want to flag many books I have to do them individually. Flagging over 500 books individually is onerous and it makes me want to find another db program. :evil: This task is made even more onerous because you cannot limit the selection and scroll to the next book(s) and maintain the selected books.
AMM - v5.9.1296
AMB - v2.0.1120

Gemini
Gemini

Post #45by Gemini » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:41 am

Nynaevelan

Well, you can actually flag multiple books at a time. So, you should select several books, right-click - there appears the menu Set personal marks and Clear personal marks - these options are going to work for all books selected. And one more thing - to do that, you need to activate the option "Multiple books selection" in Preferences.

Regards,

Return to “All My Books”