Open an ebook for reading from all My Books

Description: Feel free to ask here any questions about All My Books software. Any suggestions are welcome
Moderators: Viki, Gus, Gemini, admins

tluong
tluong
With us: 14 years 4 months

Post #1by tluong » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:35 pm

What format All My Books supporting for reading an eBook? (Mobi, epub ...).

Right now I can open a mobi eBook but could not open an epub eBook

Gemini
Gemini
With us: 14 years 11 months

Post #2by Gemini » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:50 pm

Hi there!

It's strange - it should work okay.

Can you send a few epub files that AMB can't open to support@bolidesoft.com We'll try to fix it.

Regards,
Bolide Software Support Team

badams007
badams007
With us: 5 years 9 months

Preferences - Readers - OVERRIDING DEFAULT READERS

Post #3by badams007 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:22 am

Cannot find anything in HELP about setting AMB Reader. I want all Kindle type ebooks and Epub ebooks to use only Calibre (don't want to read with Kindle or Sigil...Calibre has it's own reader...prefer using that.) I figured just remove the semi-colons in each line and Save. However, when opening a .azw3 book, it gives error that there is no reader for it. I'm confused.

Another subject: Why doesn't, upon import, a label show up in AMB telling WHICH it is, .MOBI or .EPUB or .PDF, etc? (Instead, we have to go find out what each book is ourselves and manually set the Binding field to whatever extension they actually are. (I believe I've tried other ebook programs that, upon importing ebooks, offer a column with type or extension filled in on book card...so that VIEWER can know which kind of ebook it is.

Thanks

Viki F
Viki F
With us: 11 years 11 months

Post #4by Viki » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:29 am

badams007 -

I just discovered that if you hover your mouse over the open book icon on the book's card, it displays the full path, title, and extension of the ebook.
This may help to decide which reader you need.

bolide M
Site Admin
bolide M
Site Admin
With us: 18 years 7 months

Post #5by bolide » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:11 pm

badams007 wrote:Cannot find anything in HELP about setting AMB Reader. I want all Kindle type ebooks and Epub ebooks to use only Calibre (don't want to read with Kindle or Sigil...Calibre has it's own reader...prefer using that.) I figured just remove the semi-colons in each line and Save. However, when opening a .azw3 book, it gives error that there is no reader for it. I'm confused.

I guess you are talking about "Set reader apps" button in "Expert options" tab. It should be used only if you have to override your system defaults for the desired file type. If it doesn't work for you, can you show your readers.txt file contents?

badams007 wrote:Another subject: Why doesn't, upon import, a label show up in AMB telling WHICH it is, .MOBI or .EPUB or .PDF, etc? (Instead, we have to go find out what each book is ourselves and manually set the Binding field to whatever extension they actually are. (I believe I've tried other ebook programs that, upon importing ebooks, offer a column with type or extension filled in on book card...so that VIEWER can know which kind of ebook it is.
Thanks

I think we will add the custom column for the file type, thank you for the suggestion. In the current version, you can add displaying of the file type by editing the HTML template you are using.
Special <!--#filetype --> tag will be replaced with the file type.
For example, to add displaying file type to the Standard template, you have to open "C:\Program Files (x86)\AllMyBooks\bookcards\Standard\template.html" in the text editor like Notepad while logged in as Administrator, locate the string

Code: Select all

<br><!--#filesize_lbl -->: <b><!--#filesize --> </b>

and add the following string after it

<br><!--#filetype_lbl -->: <b><!--#filetype --> </b>
Bolide Software

badams007
badams007
With us: 5 years 9 months

Post #6by badams007 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:53 pm

Thank you for the tip, Viki. :)

Viki wrote:badams007 -

I just discovered that if you hover your mouse over the open book icon on the book's card, it displays the full path, title, and extension of the ebook.
This may help to decide which reader you need.

Added after 7 minutes 33 seconds:
I am hoping for an update to All My Books that will import EXTENSION...as I see can be done when I look at other Ebook database programs.
I tried to make changes to the template, as you suggested, but because I can't figure out how to get in there as ADMIN, it won't let me save the changes.
Plus, what would that accomplish? I'm not sure since I can't load and see it for myself. Would that show extension (automatically) in that one type of display? (Course, I'd be happy with that...if I could do it.) :)
I am also having issues with opening ebooks...still...want to have Calibre open all except pdfs.

But thanks. I do hope you revise program so that we don't have to manually change Ebook to Epub, etc. :)

bolide wrote:
badams007 wrote:Cannot find anything in HELP about setting AMB Reader. I want all Kindle type ebooks and Epub ebooks to use only Calibre (don't want to read with Kindle or Sigil...Calibre has it's own reader...prefer using that.) I figured just remove the semi-colons in each line and Save. However, when opening a .azw3 book, it gives error that there is no reader for it. I'm confused.

I guess you are talking about "Set reader apps" button in "Expert options" tab. It should be used only if you have to override your system defaults for the desired file type. If it doesn't work for you, can you show your readers.txt file contents?

badams007 wrote:Another subject: Why doesn't, upon import, a label show up in AMB telling WHICH it is, .MOBI or .EPUB or .PDF, etc? (Instead, we have to go find out what each book is ourselves and manually set the Binding field to whatever extension they actually are. (I believe I've tried other ebook programs that, upon importing ebooks, offer a column with type or extension filled in on book card...so that VIEWER can know which kind of ebook it is.
Thanks

I think we will add the custom column for the file type, thank you for the suggestion. In the current version, you can add displaying of the file type by editing the HTML template you are using.
Special <!--#filetype --> tag will be replaced with the file type.
For example, to add displaying file type to the Standard template, you have to open "C:\Program Files (x86)\AllMyBooks\bookcards\Standard\template.html" in the text editor like Notepad while logged in as Administrator, locate the string

<br><!--#filesize_lbl -->: <b><!--#filesize --> </b>

and add the following string after it

<br><!--#filetype_lbl -->: <b><!--#filetype --> </b>

Return to “All My Books”