Hi All. I'm a new user to AllMyBooks having previously used BookLibrary from WenSoftware.
My first task is of course to try and import all of my records from BookLibrary which I am trying to do via an intermediate Excel sheet. So far so good although I do seem to have some challenges. It would appear that custom fields I add are available to me via import so clearly I have to set up all relevant ones that I need from my old database prior to the import. Custom fields I am thinking of adding are as follows and I would appreciate feedback from more experienced users as to whether there are better/alternative ways to deal with these fields:
* Acquired From (I have books and items from various sources including eBay, book shops and I like to record where the book came from such as an old library or school book)
* Dollar Price (Many of my books are bought in the US so I like to record the actual price paid)
* Edition (Is there really not a standard field for this to be recorded in?)
* Purchase Date (Or should I use Date Added in Metadata)
* Value (Effectively the Market Value)
Any other fields that others have added which users think I would find valuable for my type of collection? I will be expanding my use of AMB to include space related books, pamphlets/... if that makes any difference.
My collection also includes various 'Ephemra' and I am thinking of using the URL Link to link to websites/Fan Fiction/... which contain information about my favourite Author (Isaac Asimov) - good idea?
I also need to keep a 'series' and 'number within this series' as Asimov wrote a number of thematic series which logically should be kept together - more custom fields?
Finally I am going to need to keep a book number (as according to Isaac Asimov) - any reason why I shouldn't use Book Number for this?
Liking what I see and will appreciate any comments to help me.