Things I would like to see added to AMB

Description: Feel free to ask here any questions about All My Books software. Any suggestions are welcome
Moderators: Viki, Gus, Gemini, admins

Gemini
Gemini
With us: 14 years 11 months

Post #76by Gemini » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:28 pm

Okay, thanks :)

We'll consider both suggestions of yours.

Regards,
Bolide Software Support Team

dodspitfire
dodspitfire
With us: 13 years 10 months

Post #77by dodspitfire » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:22 am

me and my brother both have independent libraries of ebooks.. he uses delicious library and it would be nice to be able to see his library and links to his books from my computer.. can something like this be added?

AnakinFlair
AnakinFlair
With us: 14 years 8 months

Post #78by AnakinFlair » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:43 am

I have all of my books on LibraryThing.com. Is it, or will it be possible to tranfere my list from there o All My Books?

Nynaevelan
Nynaevelan

Post #79by Nynaevelan » Sun May 16, 2010 2:48 pm

I would like to see the ability to be able to edit multiples book cards at once. Also more sorting options, such as personal marks.
AMM - v5.9.1296
AMB - v2.0.1120

zukakoni
zukakoni
With us: 13 years 9 months

AMB Improvements

Post #80by zukakoni » Mon May 31, 2010 8:50 am

I have couple of ideas, for your already excelent program to improve it even more.

1.An Icon and Button to add books from the Harddrive, like in AMM.
(actually I don't understand, why your two programs are not more alike in theire options, as it should be almost the same code for both, on the other hand in AMM the very important feature to have a relative path for the Collection is missing, or how do I change the path to lets say 500 movies, when changing to another harddrive?)

2.On the Book Card next to the Local Path and the URL field I would like a button to jump to the directory or to open the book's webpage in my browser.

3.Great would be the ability to have an edition tab (or something similar) on the book card, where I could manage different Versions of the same book, like audiobook, ebook, hardcover and paperback. If one has a book more then once and in different formats, there would only be one book card and database entry neccessary to manage the different versions. (of course with individual pathes and urls linked)
Or the option to link several book card, lets say different versions of a book or of a series, so only one entry is shown at first in the list, expanding to all the book cards on clicking to it, like a subdirectory. This way the book card could stay the same, but one could easyly tidy the list view from double entries.

4.Some name cleaning feature. An editable list of prefix words, which are not used while sorting the collection, like "the, le, la, der, die, das... .

5.Sorting by last or first name of the author, having 2 fields in the database and the collums in the list view. (Or always sorting by last name, but the choice of displaying by first name or lastname first) This should be done in the main view and not by using the directory menu. But that already leads to the next point.

6.Faster sorting access. An treeview like in "Movienizer" or even better in "extreme Movie Manager", where one can sort the collection much faster, then with your approach. (would be great for AMM as well)

7.Option to change fonts size in list view. To squeeze more information onto the screen.

8.Mass editing of several entries, for example choosing some Books in the list view and being able to change the genre or any other field for them all the same time.

9.Dropdown field for editing the books language, for faster editing, and last used entry as an suggestion or an autocomletion.

10. A Narrator field as standart, so it can be filled automaticly by the internet serach.

11.List all the files of an audiobook as one, while searching the harddrive. Read codec information, calculate duration, and files size.
Options for seraching the harddrive, take the last folders name of a tree as file title, treat files in a folder with the same name and numbers as one.

I hope some of it can make it into your next release (please soon :))

Especially the sorting features. Off all the book databases, I like yours best, but testing a lot of them lately I found the above items missing in your program.
And alltough AMM is quite good, I have to say I chose "extreme movie manager" instead of your AMM because of its better options an sorting abilities. (Hope you don't mind mentioning it, but have a look at it, there are some features AMB and AMM should have as well.)

Best Regards

petrakid
petrakid

Suggestions.

Post #81by petrakid » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:51 pm

There needs to be a Library of Congress field added which will automatically populate when searching for and adding a book. Some of us with a LOT of books like to organize our library in LOC order but I don't want to take the time to research and add the LOC number on books that don't have it printed. Please add this field.

Also, the ability to order the display of books by ISBN, DD, LOC, Author, etc. Right now I don't have a lot of options regarding order.

Gemini
Gemini
With us: 14 years 11 months

Post #82by Gemini » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:48 pm

petrakid
Unfortunately, no definite answer here yet, because very few people need a field for LOC, that's why we haven't added it to the standard fields. All we can suggest so far is to create such a custom field in Preferences.

zukakoni
All these suggestions need time to be considered :)

Regards,
Bolide Software Support Team

Chow
Chow

Chinese databases

Post #83by Chow » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:16 am

Please add them, they are the biggest in town:

http://www.amazon.cn/

http://books.com.tw/

The first site is for Simplified Chinese and the latter for Traditional Chinese characters. Both sites support UTF-8 code. Having them both on your database lot you are covering almost all modern publications in either Chinese language.

AncientWire
AncientWire
With us: 13 years 8 months

illustrations

Post #84by AncientWire » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:01 am

I absolutely LOVE that illustrations can be added. However, I added an incorrect illustration, and can't remove it. It would be great to be able to delete illustrations individually without deleting the whole record.

Manon
Manon
With us: 13 years 7 months

Post #85by Manon » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:44 pm

I have been using All My Movies for several years now, and I've been really looking forward to having a book catalogue of the same quality. However, until you add the possibility of sorting books by Author and Series in the main window I cannot see the use of purchasing the programme. It's a pity you have been unable to fulfil this seemingly simple request of your users.

AMVAS
AMVAS

Post #86by AMVAS » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:03 am

I found discomfort adding multi-volume books.
Imagine, if there are 20-30 volumes, I need to copy, or to repeat records from all fields many times!
It would be fine if you can allow making copies of a book with automatic changing of the number of volume, which can allow to avoid caution about adding the same title.

Also it's surprising CTRL+C combination is not working when I try to copy text from titles and I need to employ context menu for copying text in buffer

Regards
Alex

Nynaevelan
Nynaevelan

Post #87by Nynaevelan » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:17 pm

Another useful feature would be the ability to filter on more than one personal mark.
AMM - v5.9.1296

AMB - v2.0.1120

iceman59
iceman59
With us: 15 years

Post #88by iceman59 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:24 am

I agree I have been asking for this for over a year now.

Manon wrote:I have been using All My Movies for several years now, and I've been really looking forward to having a book catalogue of the same quality. However, until you add the possibility of sorting books by Author and Series in the main window I cannot see the use of purchasing the programme. It's a pity you have been unable to fulfil this seemingly simple request of your users.

JoshMitchell
JoshMitchell
With us: 13 years 6 months

Subject - import category from somewhere?

Post #89by JoshMitchell » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:53 am

Would it be possible to import the book category from Amazon or something?

I often look for books for academic papers, based on the category of books as I would find it in a library. This would help many academics and myself a lot I think.

iceman59
iceman59
With us: 15 years

Updates that users want

Post #90by iceman59 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:44 pm

I wrote back on Mar 12-2009 thats 1 year and 8 months ago about some items that would help AMB, in dealing with An Author who does a Series and has many book listed that should be read in order.
Are you planning on doing any of these items in say the next 10 years, I see you want us to give the program as a gift. I myself can not do that as it does not do the most basic thing with is organize the books in the proper order. Seems that this shoiuld be a top item as the whole reason for All My Books is to organize your books. A-Z just dosen't cut it.

1. Sort or filter by Author and Series then book number in main window.
2. Print this sorted and filter list by Author and Series in all the different types of print options.
3. When scanning a harddrive for audiobooks, read in all the id tag fields and place the book cover. Most of the fields are contain in the id tag fields.
4. Export to mobile device with covers and a mobile application.
5. When adding new audiobooks from the drive, should skip the same titles and only add new books.
6. Add the total amount of the books (price field) in the Statistics, or an option to see it somewhere in the program.
7. When searching for the same bpook title the program should first look at the Author name then book title, as they are many books with the same Titke, but none that I know of by the same Author.

Return to “All My Books”